Who We Are / Our Mission
The Energy Justice NC: Ending the Duke Monopoly coalition is a collaboration of 14 local, state and national nonprofit organizations working to bring the people of North Carolina a choice of energy providers. We seek to change how the system of electricity generation and sales in our state is structured by ending the monopoly control of electric utilities and bringing a competitive market to drive innovation and lower costs to consumers.
This coalition represents a diverse range of organizations representing social justice, youth, the environment and faith, as well as local community groups and businesses, who recognize the problems of monopoly control, serial rate hikes, and the threat of worsening storms and flooding which will threaten the current grid system.
Now is the time for this state to pull together and make wise, democratically-based decisions about our energy future – and to break free from the profit-driven interests of corporate monopolies.
Now is the time for Energy Justice, North Carolina.
Coalition Members / Steering Committee
The following organizations have partnered together to bring Energy Justice to North Carolina!
- 350 Triangle
- Action for the Climate Emergency
- Alliance for Energy Democracy
- Appalachian Voices
- Concerned Citizens of Maxton
- Center for Biological Diversity
- Down East Coal Ash Coalition
- Friends of the Earth
- NC Environmental Justice Network
- NC WARN
- Protecting Progress in Durham
- Rachel Carson Council
- RedTailed Hawk Collective
The following organizations have pledged their support of the campaign:
- 350 Winston Salem
- Almanac Energy Solutions
- Andrew’s Weather Center
- Birch Meadow Garden Care, LLC
- Center for Participatory Change
- Chatham Citizens Against Coal Ash Dump
- Community Roots
- Dogwood Alliance
- Elon Community Church
- Geotrex, LLC
- H and L United Inc
- Healthcare For All, Y’all!
- Kundalini Yoga Durham
- NC Climate Solutions Coalition
- New America Power
- Orange County NC Clean Path 2025 Action Team
- Persephone, LLC
- Protect All Children’s Environment
- Quality First EHS, Inc.
- Residential Consulting, Inc.
- Run Riot Ventures
- Solar Store of Greenfield
- Sunrise Movement North Carolina
- The Canary Coalition
- The FMRT Group
- The Lilies Project
- Womens International League for Peace and Freedom of the Triangle